When we do one-day hikes, we often get hungry in the late afternoons. We like to have a meal that not only reminds us of real dinner but also gives us energy. At the same time, it has to be easy to carry and eat.
This dish is a perfect match. Serve in pita bread and you can have a healthy dinner ready in minutes.
Bulgur wheat is an excellent source of protein, low-fat and low in calories, perfect for an active person.
This recipe is a basic Tabbouleh, add your won favorites, we like
You can substitute the bulgur wheat with quinoa, wild rice or even chickpeas.
1 cup = 2.5 dl, 1/2 cup = 1.25 dl, Tb = Tablespoon = 15ml
- 1 cup water (use good filtered water)
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cup. minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup minced fresh mint
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup slivered toasted almonds (or you can use pine nuts)
- 3 Tb. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tb. fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pour the water over the bulgur wheat in a bowl and let stand covered, until the water is all absorbed, approx 20 minutes.
- Mix in the parsley, mint green onions,
- Stir together olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a different bowl.
- Pour evenly over the wheat mixture, toss again.
- Cover the bowl and cool in the fridge for at least one hour before serving it
Photo Credit: Alpha