This butter can be used directly on toast or pancakes or waffles, but I think it could also work deliciously when making chocolate-based cookies, muffins or breads – instead of regular vegan butter.
Homemade Cocoa-Coconut Butter [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tsp. soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 1/4 tsp. soy lecithin granules
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tsp. agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tbsp, plus 1 tsp. refined coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- In a small measuring cup, whisk together the soy milk and cocoa powder until thoroughly combined. Whisk in the salt and apple cider vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small measuring cup. It’s not necessary to completely melt it down – some small solid bits are okay. In the bowl of a food processor, add the melted coconut oil, canola oil, soy milk mixture, soy lecithin granules, xanthan gum, agave nectar and vanilla extract.
- Process for 1 minute, then scrap down the sides and bottom – sometimes the soy lecithin granules get stuck near the blade. Process for an additional minute, then carefully pour the mixture into the molds.
- Chill in the freezer for at least one hour before removing from molds. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.