Watermelon is a food not to miss when in season. This refreshing salad makes a perfect snack together with a chill drink. Watermelon is a natural source of natural antioxidants. It is a good source of the antioxidant vitamins C and A to protect us from diseases. If it gets too hot, it is good to know that the watermelon reduces the risk of dehydration.
The original recipe calls for shaved parmesan, I tried this with vegan parmesan, but the taste vanished in this acidic tasting salad. Last evening when I made it again I replaced the vegan parmesan with flakes of almonds and that was a good combination.
The onion adds just the right amount of tartness to the watermelon, and when onions are pickled it eases the onion smell too.
25 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 60 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings or spiralized
- 1 tablespoon date syrup
- 450 g watermelon in cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
- Flakes of vegan parmesan
- In a small bowl whisk the vinegar, date syrup and salt.
- Add the onion and cover with the vinegar mix
- Let it sit in the fridge for 15 minutes (you can leave it for longer)
- In a serving
bowl/plate put the watermelon and the pickled onion and toss it.
- Top with mint leaves and the vegan parmesan
Adapted to vegan from the book: Inspiralized, there are very few recipes in the book that are vegan. I don’t recommend the book but her website. http://inspiralized.com, when the blog started all the recipes were vegan, not anymore. Yet, there’s still a fine selection of vegan recipes.