“Can we have spinach for dinner”, my 5-year-old son asked me. “I want to be as strong as Popeye”. I bought spinach, steamed it and served. He didn’t like it, but he wanted to be strong so he ate it. Unfortunately, we dined at Grandma’s house 3 days later and she served spinach in cream sauce. “Mum, this is how spinach is supposed to taste” was his verdict. Yes, I agree. Yet, because of the amounts of calories there’s no way I would serve that version. Now 26 years later he agrees that this vegan version of “Granma’s spinach” is just as good.
- ½ cup raw cashew nuts
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 3 cloves garlic,
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the cashew nuts and water in a blender and process until very smooth.
- Add onion and garlic to a large skillet, cook until soft over medium heat
- Add spinach and cook for approximately 5 minutes until wilted
- Add the cashew cream and let cook until heated through.
- Add salt. pepper and nutmeg
- Serve warm
Olive oil, you can use the oil of your taste, my favorite is avocado oil.
This recipe is adapted from “Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen“.