This Vegan Sauce Alfredo with pasta is one of my comfort foods, so yummy and creamy and healthy too. Sauce Alfredo originates from 1920s Rome, where it was created by restaurateur Alfredo di Lello. The sauce is made of butter, heavy cream and Parmesan cheese combined with fettuccine pasta. The combination of the hot fettuccine and sauce is divine.
The challenge to change the original into a vegan version was kind of easy; when I want something creamy I usual turn to cashews, in this case it was a success.
I used Tagliatelle because it has almost the same texture as fettuccine and that was what I had in the cupboard. Surely you can use pasta you like, just follow the cooking instruction on the label.
1 tablespoon = 15 ml, 1 teaspoon = 5 ml
- 1 cup / 150g raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons raw pine nuts
- 1-1/2 cups / 3.5 dl water
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cups cooked / 250 g uncooked tagliatelle
- 3 tablespoons freshly minced parsley
- Put cashews and pine nuts into a blender and blend/pulse untill a fine powder. Add water, lemon juice, garlic, nutmeg and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the sauce to a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk as you bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for approx. 7 minutes, whisking regularly. Stir in black pepper.
- Serve over hot tagliatelle and garnish with parsley and fresh ground pepper to taste.