Fruit salads are the perfect healthy dish to bring to share at a picnic or BBQ. It can also be a part of a healthy breakfast. You may think you don’t need a recipe to make a fruit salad. Of course, you could always cut up your favorite fruit and toss the fruit together in a bowl. Yet, the combination below is my favorite. The acidic berries with the cooling watermelon and creamy banana make it perfect. My mother makes the best fruit salad, but it’s not vegan – the dressing that is. So, I use my usual trick to veganize it, I add coconut milk.
A peeler and a knife are the tools you need – no need for special gadgets. A beautiful serving bowl of glass is optional.
1 cup = 250 ml, 1 Tbsp = 15 ml
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- You will need 1 cup / 2.5 dl of the following:
- Strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Watermelon in cubes
- Green grapes in halves
- Kiwi, 4 or 5, peeled and thickly sliced
- Bananas in thin slices, add those last, so they don't get brown
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup / 62 ml coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2-3 Tbsp organic sugar to taste
- Chopped fresh mint for garnish
- Mix the fruit, all peeled and squared, halved etc. in a serving bowl
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, lime
juiceand organic sugar.
- Add to the fruit and toss lightly to combine
- If you are making this ahead, toss with dressing and garnish with mint just before serving.
Photo credit Jill Welllington