Falafels are comfort food for most of us, however they are often quite fat when you cook them in oil.
This recipe by “Tastemade” is vegan falafels that are oven baked and almost oil-free and 100% gluten-free.
1 tsp = 5 ml, 1 tbsp = 15 ml
½ cup walnuts
2 cups cooked/canned chickpeas
1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
½ cup / 120 g coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
½ cup / 120 g coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup / 60 ml of olive oil
½ cup / 1 dl tahini
¼ cup / 60 ml water
3 tbls lemon juice
1 garlic clove minced
pinch of salt
For the assembly:
collard green leaves
shredded red cabbage
… then watch this video for how to make them or read the description below the video!
1. Preheat oven to 375°F / 190°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Pulse walnuts in a food processor for about 30 seconds. Add chickpeas, red onion, garlic, baking powder, cumin, pinch of salt, lemon juice, cilantro, parsley and olive oil. Blend the ingredients together, occasionally smooshing down the sides until mixture is slightly well combined but still a little chunky.
3. Using your hands or small scooper, form small balls of falafel and place on parchment sheet. Brush top of each one with olive oil and bake, turning every 5 minutes, until falafels are evenly brown, about 15 minutes. Or flatten the falafel with a spatula before they go into the oven so you only have to flip them once in the baking process.
4. To make dressing: mix all ingredients in a small bowl or food processor.
5. To assemble: Drizzle tahini dressing down the middle of the collard green, place 2 falafels in the center and top with roughly chopped mint, cabbage, and tomatoe