In my younger years, I was never keen on porridge. Just the name of it made me feel nauseous. Now, it is a morning favorite. I only took it up when I had kids because it is healthy, easy and can be made in a million ways – approx! It would be a good start on the day for my kids and somehow I fell in love with it myself. In the summer we are having right now, a portion hot porridge is not on the fav-list though.
But this recipe just saved the day – or morning I should say.
It takes no time to make in the morning, but you have to soak the buckwheat overnight.
- 2 cups raw buckwheat groats, soaked overnight, drained, and rinsed
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- Pinch sea salt
- ⅓ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Pour the buckwheat groats in a food processor and give it a couple of spins to break it down.
- Add almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla bean, flax, and sea salt, and mix until a smooth consistency (but with some texture remaining).
- Mix in the
coconut ,bypulse only, and season as wished Serve,topped with maybe fresh berries, nuts, or bananas.
Read more at: http://food52.com/recipes/28895-raw-buckwheat-breakfast-porridge
Photo Credit: Denna Jones