Did you know it’s National Strawberry and Cream Day today? I didn’t. A new supermarket opened today in the little village I live in, and when things like this happen actually when anything happen, we turn it to a great party; live music, free coffee & buns even flowers for adult and balloons for the kids. But the best thing is special offers, not ordinary special offers no real good offers, like 2 kg of frozen strawberries €2 ($2.2). Wow, I bought those together with coconut cream to make the most delicious dessert I could find. I learned it’s the National Food Holiday (national being in US), not sure who invented it, that will be for another day… now to the strawberry and coconut cream – I decided for…
1 tablespoon = 15 ml .
- 1 pound / 500 g frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1 can organic full-fat organic coconut cream, refrigerated overnight
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar also called icing sugar (optional)
- 4 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla from 1 pod
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, mash the berries and any juices into a chunky sauce, and set aside
- To make the whipped coconut cream, turn the chilled coconut milk can upside down, and pour off the clear liquid at the top until all that is left is the solidified cream. If the cream hasn't solidified, then pour off as much clear liquid as possible.
- Move the coconut cream to a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer until it starts to whip. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, and whip again.
- Spoon a bit of the strawberry sauce into the bottom of four serving bowls or glasses. Spoon coconut whipped cream in on top of the sauce. Repeat the layers using the remaining sauce and cream mixture.
If you want you can top this with roasted almonds or cookies.
Photo credit: Lisa Cericola