The other day my friend told me, she got a nice present a bag of Vegan Sweet Potato Cookies; but then she read the label and read palm oil! Technically palm oil is vegan as it comes from a palm tree however the way it is planted and harvested is definitely not vegan, you can read more about it here: http://www.saynotopalmoil.com/ .
She asked for a recipe and here is the result of testing a few recipes.
These cookies are low in cholesterol, high in magnesium and selenium and unfortunately also high in sugar – so don’t overeat 😉
tbsp = teaspoon = 5ml - This recipe calls for mashed sweet potato, it's easiest to mash sweet potatoes while they are a bit warm. So if you are using a left over potato from the fridge, you can nudge it a bit to get it warmer.
- 100g / 1/2 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 4 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 tbsp date syrup
- 0.5 cup / 120 ml almond milk
- 2 cup / 280g wheat flour, whole-grain
- 0.5 cup / 100 g sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.75 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 24 pecans (halves)
- Mix all your wet ingredients together.
- Add in all the dry ingredients but the almonds until everything turns to a texture like a dough.
- Put on a baking tray you should be able to make 24
- Add one half pecan on each cookie
- Bake at 350°F / 180°C for 20 minutes.