It’s not secret that I’m a chocolate person or more precisely addict, and if business as usual I would have planned a chocolate dessert, for this evening’s dinner. An element of surprise is always good, so new ingredients are called for. Vanilla popped up – I love vanilla and I haven’t made vanilla pudding since I was at the school kitchen learning to cook. The time has come to see if can see make it. Since the original recipe is not vegan, I have veganzised it.
This is a dessert, but I believe it’s just as good as breakfast 😉
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1-1/2 cups / 280 g rice; use short or medium grain rice for a creamy outcome
- 1/3 cup / 65 g sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeded and scraped
- 7 cups / 1-1/2 litre almond milk with vanilla or unsweetened
- pinch of sea salt
- berries of your choice for topping
- Start by rinsing the rice with cold water. Add rice to a medium saucepan. Add sugar, vanilla bean and pod, salt, and 1 cup / 2.5 dl. of almond milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the almond milk is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining of almond milk, about 1/2 cup / 1 dl. at a time. Let the milk absorb before adding more.
- After 25 minutes, the rice pudding will be thick and creamy.
- Let cool, remove vanilla bean and transfer into a pretty glass.
- Garnish with fresh berries
Photo credit: Hazel Estrada