Summer is salad season. I needed a colorful salad for a dinner party, something to spice the table up a bit. This salad has beautiful colors and the taste is of summer and full of freshness. The black rice makes it more filling and richer in taste than a normal.
1 hrCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 orange
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon vegan fish sauce (optional)
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 just-ripe mango, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/4 large onion)
- 1/2 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Start by getting a bowl so you can keep all the orange juice for the dressing.
- Peel the orange and remove the white.
- Use a sharp knife to cut between membranes to get nice pieces af orange.
- Squeeze all remaining orange over the bowl to get all the juice.
- then add lime juice, oil, and vegan fish sauce (if using) to the bowl.
- whisk to mix it together.
- Then bring rice and 11/4 cups and 2 tbsp water to a boil in a large pan.
- Season as wished with salt.
- then cook the rice about 25 minutes (it depends on your stove)
- Remove pan from heat and cover it and let it be for 15 minutes.
- Spread out the rice on a baking sheet, put on the dressing, and season with salt and let it cool.
- Put mango and remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add rice and toss gently to let it come together.
Read more and get more ideas at: http://vegangela.com/2013/03/20/black-rice-salad-with-mango-and-peanuts/
photo credit: T. Tseng